Of all the cities I’ve travelled to in Europe, Amsterdam exceeded my expectations the most! This city is so unassuming, which is precisely why I liked it so much. Far beyond the “coffeeshops” and red light district, is a gem of a city brimming with incredible restaurants, shops, bars, and canal lined streets. Below is a snapshot glance at what to see and do on a long-weekend trip to the capital of the Netherlands.
What to Pack:
- Amsterdam is a city where layers are recommended. I happened to be there on a gloriously sunny summer weekend but still required a sweater or light jacket by night. I would suggest a pair of heels for an impromptu night of dancing at the Mad Fox (W Hotel) or The Hoxton. Otherwise the city is very trendy and mostly casual so flats, printed dresses, and some fun accessories will take you far.
Where to Stay:
- The Hoxton – this hotel reminds me of New York’s The Bowery only here they play music…great music, for an incredible bar scene. It’s located right along one of the main canals so you also get an epic view of quintessential Amsterdam.
- Pulitzer Amsterdam – contemporary design, residential feel spanning 25 canal houses in the heart of the city.
What to See:
- Must rent a bike
- Must rent a boat
- Moco Museum
- Lindengract Market
Where to Eat:
- G’s de Pijp – this restaurant has to be one of the coolest I’ve ever experienced abroad. There are suddle nods to all your favorite rappers and hip hop stars throughout the menu and venue plus a very clever spin on a record menu.
- Peruvian Restaurant
- Pancakes Amsterdam – pretty self-explanatory! Serves delicious crepe style pancakes in the famous nine street district.
- Jansz – really yummy European cuisine, served right next to the canal
- La Perla – no frills, delicious pizzeria in the heart of the Jordaan neighborhood
- Foodhallen – I would also equally recommend this as a place for drinks and dancing. This hall houses a plethora of different vendors with an amazing dj.
Where to Shop:
- The nine streets
Where to Play:
- W Hotel Rooftop Bar, also could head down to the Mad Fox which is the club below
- Hoxton Hotel Bar for drinks and dancing
- Foodhallen for afterwork drinks and dancing